How much does a visit cost?
- $10/required chaperone (we require 1 adult for every 5 children)
- $10 for each additional chaperone
- $10 for each additional child (younger or older siblings accompanying caregivers)
- Minimum 15 people
Note: DoSeum Memberships can be applied for adults and additional children. Member students must be paid for through the school. We discourage caregivers from bringing extra children not directly involved in the Field Trip (e.g., younger siblings). We understand that this situation is sometimes unavoidable, however, and these children will be free if they are on a Membership.
Can we visit The DoSeum Store during our Field Trip?
Many children enjoy purchasing a “memory” souvenir of their visit to the museum. The DoSeum Store offers a wide range of low-cost DoSeum related items. We are always excited to see children in the store and welcome them with their caregiver or chaperone. If you would like to bring your group to the Store, please indicate so on the Field Trip Request form.
How many students and chaperones can attend a visit?
A Field Trip should not exceed more than 125 children per school/group. If your group is larger, please contact us and we will consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
Field Trips require 1 chaperone for every 5 children (chaperones include teachers and must be 18 or older). For an improved Field Trip experience, please organize and assign your chaperone groups (groups are made up of 1 adult and 5 children) before you arrive. Teachers will receive suggestions for how chaperones can support students in Adventure Field Trips.
All students and chaperones will typically travel with their classroom teacher. For large groups, dividing classes into smaller groups can be helpful. Adventure Field Trips will require large groups to divide into smaller groups.
Additional adults and children accompanying your group will be required to pay separately at the admission rate discussed above.
What does a Field Trip look like?
Visiting The DoSeum allows your students to engage in STEM, the arts, and early literacy. We aim to increase educator capacity by creating experiences that align with students’ needs and by providing experiences that ignite learners’ passions and curiosities. At The DoSeum we offer two experiences for you and your learners:
Our Exploration Field Trips are self-guided experiences that allow you to explore the whole museum based on your own learning goals. Need help? Click here to download our Field Trip Guides – free resources that align our exhibits with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
With our Adventure Field Trips, your students will take a deeper dive into a specific subject as they explore our exhibits via an immersive, guided experience. Current offerings are themed to math and early literacy.
- The Spy Among Us (Math; Grades 3 – 5) - Maximum 120 students
- Alphabet Avengers (Literacy; Grades K – 2) - Maximum 60 students.
What information do we need for transportation?
The DoSeum’s is located at 2800 Broadway (San Antonio, 78209). Groups may load and unload in the designated Bus Drop-Off & Pick-Up Zone on Humphrey Avenue. Parking for buses is available on Margaret Street just around the corner. DoSeum staff will meet your group to assist you during drop-off. Please plan for busses to pick up your group in front of The DoSeum, where you dropped off your group, at the time arranged between you and The DoSeum.
How do I reserve a Field Trip?
The earlier you make your reservation, the better chance you have of visiting The DoSeum on the date you request. To make a reservation request, complete the Field Trip Request form. Reservations cannot be made by leaving a voicemail or by phone. Once we have this reservation request, a DoSeum staff member will email you to confirm your reservation.
How can I pay for my Field Trip? When is payment due?
We accept cash, checks, and all major credit cards. We do not accept purchase orders. Be prepared to make a single payment for your entire group upon arrival. The DoSeum cannot split ticket sales (receipts) for any group. We can, however, process different payment methods on one ticket sale.
We do not issue refunds for amounts $50 or less. If your refund due is over $50, a check will be sent to the address on the original check (unless otherwise specified) within 30 days.
I'm part of a home-schooling group. Can we book a Field Trip?
Absolutely! We welcome all students and educators who fall within our Field Trip age range (3-11 years old).
Are there special rates for Title I / economically disadvantaged groups?
Update: At the moment, we are not currently offering scholarships under the DFA program.
The DFA program is designed to provide all students and schools in the San Antonio area access to our quality programming. DFA will provide free admission to up to 75 students from each qualifying campus per school year and up to 15 adults (teachers, chaperones). Please note: If your school or organization brings more than 90 students and 18 adults, the standard Field Trip rates will apply for the additional students/adults. DFA will also reimburse schools up to $300 for bus transportation.
Schools may apply for funding if they meet the following criteria:
- 80%+ Title 1 students (based on Title 1 qualifications from Texas Education Agency)
- Specialized programs to advance students in STEM, the arts, and/or literacy
Note: Not all groups who qualify are guaranteed to receive funding. Applications are approved on a case-by-case basis
May we eat lunch on-site at The DoSeum?
If space is available, a 30-minute reservation is our theater is available for an additional fee of $75. This fee covers custodial and facility rental costs. Food is not provided. Groups that choose to forego use of this space typically return to school for lunch or use Lions Field across the street. DoSeum staff is not available to escort groups across Broadway to Lions Field.
Can caregivers stay and play at The DoSeum with their children after the Field Trip is complete?
Yes! Caregivers are more than welcome to stay at The DoSeum with their children after the Field Trip is complete. Caregivers wanting to do so will need to communicate with their child’s teacher beforehand to ensure that school policies for withdrawing the child from school are followed. Caregivers and child(ren) need to get a wrist band from the front desk if they plan to leave and then return to The DoSeum.
Upon arrival, your group will receive an orientation on DoSeum etiquette. In the museum we…
1) Walk and Talk: Let’s use our walking feet and inside voices when at The DoSeum. Please refrain from running or shouting.
2) Share and Take Care: Please be mindful of other Guests and their ability to also play in The DoSeum. Remember to share the exhibit toys and space with other people. And please return items where they belong before you go to a new area. Respect museum exhibits and facilities.
3) Stay and Play Together: Let’s stay together. Ensure that a chaperone stays with children in your group at all times. This is a chance for children to teach adults how to play and have fun!
Learn more and please review our full Guests Code of Conduct.
RESERVING YOUR FIELD TRIP
- Group Reservations are only made online through our webpage: www.thedoseum.org/fieldtrips.
- Groups may only reserve visits during The DoSeum’s regular business hours.
- Group Reservations cannot be made for Tuesdays or holiday weekends.
- The group fee of $10.00 per person applies to a reservation of 15 or more people. The maximum is 150 total, including both children and adults, pending availability.
- Groups of 15 or more require reservations, excluding families. Larger families do not need to schedule a group visit.
- All reservations must be made no later than 1 month before the scheduled date of visit.
- We require a 1 week notice for cancellation of the Group Visit. Failure to do so may restrict future visits to The DoSeum.
PAYMENT ON ARRIVAL
We DO NOT issue refunds for amounts $50 or less.
- We accept cash, checks, and all major credit cards. We do not accept Purchase Orders.
- Be prepared to make a SINGLE PAYMENT for your entire group upon arrival. Please have an accurate count of your adults and children, ages 1 year and up, before you arrive.
- The DoSeum cannot split ticket sales (receipts) for any group. We can, however, process different payment methods on one ticket sale.
If your pre-issued check is over the amount owed by $50 or less, your change will be used as a donation to our DoSeum for All fund to underwrite visits for low-income children. If your refund due is over $50, a check will be sent to the address on the original check (unless otherwise specified) within 30 days.