The DoSeum opens June 6, 2015, but you can sign up now to volunteer!
At The DoSeum, we will be looking for volunteers that meet the following criteria:
- A willingness to learn
- Dependability, initiative, and flexibility
- A positive attitude
- Experience and/or an interest in early childhood education and child development
- Experience and/or interest in art, music, science, literacy
- A dedication to The DoSeum’s mission and vision
Benefits of Volunteering
- Academic or community credit
- Gain work experience and develop personal and professional skills as you build your resume
- Rewarding opportunity to work with children, share your talents, and learn new skills
- Meet new people and gain leadership skills
- 10% discount at the The DoSeum Store
- Learn child development theories and techniques
- Invitations to volunteer recognition events
Volunteer Application Process
In order to become a volunteer at The DoSeum, please:
– Complete and submit an application online.
Your application will be reviewed by the volunteer coordinator. If it is determined that you are a good fit for volunteering at the museum, you will be contacted for an interview.
– Interview with volunteer coordinator.
The interview allows us to become more familiar with your skills, and what you hope to gain from this experience, as well as how you can benefit the museum. It is also a time to discuss your availability.
– Complete background check.
Individuals 18 and older must complete a background check. Individuals 17 and under complete a waiver form. This is a necessary step to determine if you meet the requirements to volunteer at the museum.
– Attend volunteer orientation and hands-on exhibit training.
The orientation will give you an overview of the museum, exhibits, programs, and special events.
Junior Volunteers (11-13 years of age) are required to have parental consent to volunteer at the museum and should complete and submit the application online. Also,
- An adult 18 years or older is required to attend orientation with junior volunteers
- Must volunteer at least once per quarter to remain active as a volunteer
- Attend enrichment and training opportunities as required
You must complete all onboarding steps to begin volunteering at the museum.
Orientations are scheduled on a monthly basis. Attendance is mandatory in order to begin volunteering.
If you are going to cancel a volunteer shift, you must update your schedule on Volgistics and/or contact the volunteer coordinator 48 hours in advance. If you fail to show up for your shift three times, you will no longer be allowed to volunteer at the museum.
You must be 14 years old or older (junior volunteers must be 11-13 years old).
Cell phones are not allowed when volunteers work in the exhibits. They must be turned on silent and stored during volunteer shifts. Volunteers are welcome to access their phones during breaks.
Group and Corporate Volunteers
Group and corporate volunteers are needed for special events and materials preparation. We are happy to schedule a time for you and your group to come in and volunteer. For more information please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com. Point of Contact for the group must submit an application on behalf of the group. Please reference on boarding process.
Sometimes volunteers are looking for an opportunity to use their own special skills to serve the Museum and its visitors in a unique way that we haven’t advertised. If you would like to volunteer with us, but you don’t see the type of opportunity you’re looking for, contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.